2.5 lbs Short-Ribs
1 tablespoon Canola oil
2 Carrots. sliced ½ inch thick
3 Parsnips, sliced ½ inch thick
6 Pearl Onions, peeled and halved
1 canned diced tomatoes, 28oz
5 cups Water
1 Bay Leaf
2 sprigs of Thyme
1 teaspoon of Lemon Juice
Salt and Pepper, to taste
- Cut meat off the bone. Cut meat into 1-inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper on all sides. Add oil and sear in a heavy bottom pan. Brown meat on all sides. Brown the bones to add flavor to the stock. ( Lower the flame if the bottom of the pan is getting dark). Set seared meat and bones aside.
- When finished, add pearl onions sliced side down and cook until brown, about 3 minutes. Add carrots and parsnips, cook for 5 minutes.
- Add ¾ of canned tomatoes to the pot to deglaze. Use an immersion blender or food processor to puree the remaining tomatoes and add to the pot.
- Add 5 cups of water and return meat and bones into the pot.
- Bring the liquid to a boil and add Bay leaf and Thyme. Lower the flame and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat pulls apart.
- When the meat starts pulling apart with no effort. Serve a few pieces in each bowl and add even amounts of liquid or remove each piece of meat and pull apart. Discard bones, bay leaf and sprigs.
- Add lemon juice and adjust seasoning.